Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Families Can Be Together Forever

Soo... I have kind of been throwing myself a pity party lately. I had mini-emotional breakdown number 384757462 today. This week I had kind of been thinking life isn't super awesome right now. Thanks to FaceBook and blogs, though, I've had a couple reality checks come my way.

Reality Check #1: One of my friends posted this link from a photographer's blog. This photographer had the honor and privilege of photographing the reunion of a family after being separated for six years. I can't do the story justice so you're just going to have to go and read it; it's a serious tearjerker. After reading this story I felt an overwhelming amount of gratitude for many things: my family, the country I live in and the freedoms I take for granted, the amazing church I belong to and the love, compassion and service that is such a huge part of it, the life I have and all the many, many blessings I have been given.

Reality Check #2: Another one of my friends posted on her blog about one of her best friends who has been fighting a nasty and incurable case of cancer for the past year and will return to live with her Heavenly Father any time now. I can't imagine being her friends or family members, or even her right now. I have been so blessed to never have had the experience of losing a loved one thus far in my life. I have also been so blessed and so has this girl and her loved ones with the knowledge of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the peace and comfort it brings into our lives. Because we know of God's plan of salvation for all of His children, we can take comfort in knowing that if we are obedient, we will see our family again and be together after this life, and forever.

When I think about things like these, my "problems" don't seem that big after all. Actually, they seem dumb and pointless. There are things out there way more important than worrying about writing papers, taking tests, what I'm going to do this weekend and all the other little things in our lives that won't matter later down the road or after this life.

I am so grateful for the church that I belong to and that helps me live my life in a way that I can experience true happiness and joy in this life and forever; it brings me great peace, comfort and hope in this world we live in. I truly believe that if we do the best we can in this life, we will see our loved ones after we leave this earth and be able to be with them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment